WHO says Covid-19 generated the largest health response

WHO says Covid-19 generated the largest health response
By: 
Fecha de publicación: 
31 December 2020
0
Imagen principal: 
Geneva, Dec 31 (Prensa Latina) The director of the World Health Organization (WHO), Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, affirmed today that Covid-19 shook the world, but at the same time generated the largest health response in history.
 
When we were celebrating New Year's Eve, a global threat emerged a year ago, he recalled in his usual video conferences.

Since then the pandemic has claimed many lives and broke families, societies and economies around the world, but it also unleashed the most rapid and extensive health response in human history.

This response has been translated into an incomparable mobilization of science and at the same time, acts of solidarity, large and small 'in which health workers were major protagonists', he said.

The WHO director stressed that 2020 gave lessons and called the attention 'that we must consider in 2021, such as the need to increase investment by all countries in public health, so that our health workers are prepared to prevent and respond the pandemics that the future will inevitably bring. '

He also advised that while the vaccination campaigns against the new coronavirus are developed, something that will take a while, the methods used in 2020 to combat the virus must be followed.

This means keeping your physical distance, wearing a mask, taking care of hand hygiene, avoiding crowded places indoors and trying to meet others outdoors, the expert recalled.

For his part, the director of the WHO emergency program, Mike Ryan, explained that this pandemic is very serious and affects all corners of the planet.

However, what we have experienced in 2020 is not necessarily the most serious pandemic, as 'another even worse pandemic is yet to come.'

In its fundamentals, it emphasizes that the likely scenario is that the virus becomes another virus that will continue to be a threat, but a threat within the context of an effective global vaccination program, he added.

On December 31, 2019, the Chinese authorities informed the WHO of the appearance of cases of a pneumonic disease then unknown in the city of Wuhan, and the Geneva-based organization informed its members of this in the first days of January. .

A month later, on January 30, the agency declared an international emergency due to the new coronavirus, and on March 11 as a pandemic.

Add new comment

CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether or not you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions.
Image CAPTCHA
Enter the characters shown in the image.

Image gallery

Graphic Opinion

Video