Brazilian governors to curb Covid-19
Brasilia, Mar 8 (Prensa Latina) Governors from 21 states and the Federal District are coordinating an agreement to set up prohibitive and preventive measures to fight the Covid-19 pandemic, which has killed 265,411 people in Brazil so far.
Governor of Piaui State (north east) Wellington Dias told GloboNews TV station that they intend to promote an experiment of restrictions nationwide until March 14 so that the country can 'sweep the SARS-CoV-2 coronavirus away,' which causes the disease.
Dias, who is in charge of this initiative, claimed that 'it makes no sense for my state to do so if another does not. I have called it dry ice, that is, transmissibility has to be cut off nationwide.'
He insisted that 'the objective is to vaccinate 50 million people by April, the group with the highest risk, people with over 60 years of age, with comorbidity, indigenous people, health workers, senior citizens in nursing homes, because they make up 70 percent of hospitalizations and 70 percent of deaths.'
Late in February, he said that the governors would call on the Bolsonaro administration to adopt restrictive measures across the country.
In later interviews, the far-wing president refused the possibility of setting up lockdowns or actions to restrict people's circulation.
The governors will meet with Minister of Health Eduardo Pazuello and representatives from the Oswaldo Cruz Foundation (FIOCRUZ) in Rio on Monday, in order to discuss strategies to fight the virus and the need to speed up vaccination.